The Oriental Ceramic Society of Hong Kong was established in 1974 by a group of collectors and enthusiasts with a shared interest in Asian art and culture. It is dedicated to the open exchange of ideas and information between scholars, collectors and the public through a series of lectures, guided exhibition viewings, exclusive collection visits, popular study tours, and masterclasses. In recent years the OCS has welcomed younger scholars, and introduced a new student membership.
The OCS has organised a number of major exhibitions during its history and published catalogues to accompany these exhibitions. (Details on Publications page):
- Jingdezhen Wares: The Yuan Evolution (1984)
- Art From the Scholar’s Studio (1986)
- Ancient Chinese and Ordos Bronzes (1990)
- Two Thousand Years of Chinese Lacquer (1993)
- Heavens’ Embroidered Cloths: One Thousand Years of Chinese Textiles (1995)
- The Passion of Collecting (1999)
- Art and Imitation in China (2006)
- The Dragon in Chinese Art (2012)
The Oriental Ceramic Society of Hong Kong is affiliated with the Oriental Ceramic Societies of London (est. 1921) and the Philippines (est. 1980) and other organizations in Asia. (Details on Links page)
The Oriental Ceramic Society of Hong Kong was incorporated as a company limited by guarantee in 1992 and is recognised as a charitable institution by the Inland Revenue Department with the result that donations to the OCS are deductible for Hong Kong tax purposes.
The Executive Committee
Dr. Philip Wen-Chee Mao
B. S. McElney
Dr. Ip Yee
A. H. Forsyth
Dr. K. S. Lo
Dr. S. Y. Yip
Nancy Ma Thompson
C. Roger Moss O.B.E.
Robert Y. C. Ho
Chris H. Hall
Joseph S. L. Wu